April 19, 2020, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Cost: Free. sportfishing.org
Location: San Diego Sportfishing
Landings in Point Loma
Port of San Diego each year launches the summer season with an incredible Day at the Docks event which showcases a $3.5 million redevelopment of San Diego's Sportfishing Landings. Day at the Docks celebrates the beginning of the sportfishing season in what is recognized as the world's largest, most modern sportfishing fleet at America's Cup Harbor on San Diego Bay.
Famous for its first-class
accommodations and access to some of the
best saltwater sportfishing, many of the
fleets vessels will be open for the
public to browse through, and even take
mini-boat and kayak rides on some craft.
Among the highlights of the annual one day event that has been in existence for more than 30 years are guest speakers, demos, give-aways, and raffles for prizes such as thousands of dollars of fishing equipment donated by sponsors and exhibitors. Live entertainment includes great San Diego bands, and the highlight for some is the casting competition. Captains' Dunk Tank, plus kid's fishing and art contests, all are free (except for raffle purchase and any vendor sales).
* West Marine San Diego Bay based sportfishing fleet will take kids fishing FOR FREE on any open party ½ day, ¾ day or full day fishing trip when accompanied by a paid adult with promotional coupon available at West Marine stores during May.
* 200 exhibits manned by experts in their respective fields will display Fishing Tackle, Marine Art, Clothing, Accessories and Marine Services.
* Raffles will be held to benefit The Burn Institute with thousands of dollars of fishing equipment, fishing trips and other valuable prizes donated by sponsors and exhibitors.
* Music and live entertainment from the Main Stage throughout the day. Plus Casting and Knot Tying Competitions, a Captains' Dunk Tank, Kid's Fishing and Art Contests and more.
* Radio personality and lure manufacturer John "Hopalong" Cassidy will again be master of ceremonies for the Port of San Diego's 32nd Day at the Docks.
Hopalong can be heard live on Friday and Sunday evenings co-hosting the Rod & Reel Radio Show on KCAA 1050 in the Inland Empire or on 540AM throughout the San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles areas. rodandreelradio.com.
Directions & Parking
From Highway 5 South or highway 8 West exit at Rosecrans. Take Rosecrans 4.5 miles to North Harbor Dr., turn left. Turn right on Scott Street, the sportfishing landings are on the left.
From Highway 5 North
Exit at Hawthorne. Take Hawthorne to Harbor Drive, turn right. Turn left on Scott Street and the sportfishing landings are on the left.
Parking & Shuttles:
Parking is at a premium around the Landings during Day At The Docks. But don't worry, there's plenty of FREE parking on Shelter Island. Bright red double-decker buses will be running all day providing FREE shuttle service from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. to and from the festival.
Events are not guaranteed. It is your responsibility to confirm before going.