California History

Oakland Landmarks

Counties in California: County / Cities

Oakland California Landmarks include literary and historic figures and places you'll enjoying seeing during a visit.

Alameda County historical landmarks data is provided by the Office of Historic Preservation - California Department of Parks and Recreation and is also available in the California Historical Landmarks Book.

Oakland Landmark #3 ;  NATIONAL LITERARY LANDMARK; NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES - Heinhold's First and Last Chance Saloon, Jack London's Rendezvous in Oakland, Location: 48 Webster Street, Jack London Square,  Oakland CA 94607  Phone: (510) 839-6761 /

NO. 107  JOAQUIN MILLER HOME - Joaquin Miller, 'Poet of the Sierras,' resided on these acres, which he called 'The Hights,' from 1886 to 1913. In this building, The Abby, he wrote Columbus and other poems. He planted the surrounding trees and he personally built, on the eminence to the north, the funeral pyre and the monuments dedicated to Moses, General John C. Frémont, and Robert Browning. 'The Hights' was purchased by the City of Oakland in 1919.
Location: Joaquin Miller Park, NW corner of Joaquin Miller Rd and Sanborn Dr, Oakland
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: OAKLAND WEST
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-66000204

NO. 299 CAMINO OF RANCHO SAN ANTONIO - The Camino of Rancho San Antonio ran from Mission San Jose to Fruitvale, and later to San Pablo by way of Oakland and El Cerrito. The word camino means trail, road, highway, or line of communication that is in general public or private use.
Location: SW corner of Oakland and Santa Clara Aves, Oakland

NO. 45  SITE OF COLLEGE OF CALIFORNIA - The University of California, chartered March 23, 1868, used buildings of the former College of California between Franklin and Harrison and 12th and 14th Streets from 1869 to 1873. Henry Durant, who founded the Contra Costa Academy in June 1853, was elected first university president in June 1870. The university moved to its present site in Berkeley in September 1873.
Location: NE corner of 13th and Franklin Sts, Oakland

NO. 676  SITE OF SAINT MARY'S COLLEGE - Site of Saint Mary's College, 'The Old Brick Pile,' 1899-1928. Plaque placed by Saint Mary's College Alumni, April 25, 1959.
Location: 3093 Broadway and Hawthorne, Oakland

NO. 694  CHURCH OF ST. JAMES THE APOSTLE - This church, founded under authority of Bishop Kip, first Episcopal Bishop for California, has given uninterrupted service to this community since June 27, 1858.
Location: 1540-12th Ave at Foothill Blvd, Oakland
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: OAKLAND WEST

NO. 768 SITE OF NATION'S FIRST SUCCESSFUL BEET SUGAR FACTORY - E. H. Dyer, 'father of the American beet sugar industry,' built the factory in 1870 on a corner of his farm. It began to process sugar beets on November 15, 1870, and produced 293 tons of sugar during its first operating season. The plant has since been completely rebuilt on the original site.
Location: 30849 Dyer St, Union City
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: NEWARK

NO. 849 MILLS HALL - When Mills Seminary, forerunner of Hue college, transferred its operations to Oakland from Benicia in 1871, it moved into a long, four-story building with a high central observatory. The mansarded structure, which provided homes for faculty and students as well as classrooms and dining halls, long was considered the most beautiful educational building in the state.
Location: Mills College, 5000 MacArthur at Pierson St, Oakland
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: OAKLAND WEST
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-71000132

NO. 884 PARAMOUNT THEATRE - This is the 'Art Deco,' or 'Moderne' style of movie palace built during the rise of the motion picture industry. The Paramount, which opened on December 16, 1931, is the most ambitious theatre design of architect Timothy L. Pflueger. Restored in 1973, it has retained an exceptional unity of style.
Location: 2025 Broadway, Oakland - plaque located at 475-21st St
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: OAKLAND WEST
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-73000395

NO. 896 FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF OAKLAND - Designed in 1889 by Walter J. Mathews, this solid masonry Romanesque church departed radically from California's traditional Gothic wood frame construction. Noted for its world famous stained glass windows produced by Goodhue of Boston, and for arching redwood spans, the widest at that time west of the Rockies, the church remains a significant cultural and architectural landmark.
Location: 685 14th St at Castro St, Oakland
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: OAKLAND WEST

NO. 925 PERALTA HACIENDA SITE - One of California's original Spanish colonists, Luís Peralta received the first and largest Mexican land grant. His hacienda was the nucleus of the Rancho de San Antonio, which covered the sites of seven present-day East Bay cities and reached to the Contra Costa frontier. The rancho's first permanent adobe was located here, and the 1870 Italianate frame house is one of two remaining Peralta buildings.
Location: 2465 34th Ave and Paxton St, Oakland
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: OAKLAND WEST
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-77000285

NO. 946 UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY CAMPUS - These landmarks form the historic core of the first University of California campus, opened in 1873: Founders' Rock, University House, Faculty Club and Glade, Hearst Greek Theatre, Hearst Memorial Mining Building, Doe Library, Sather Tower and Esplanade, Sather Gate and Bridge, Hearst Gymnasium, California, Durant, Wellman, Hilgard, Giannini, Wheeler, North Gate and South Halls.
Location: University Ave, Berkeley
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: OAKLAND EAST
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-82004638

NO. 954  CROLL BUILDING - This building is closely associated with sporting events significant to the history of the City of Alameda, the San Francisco Bay area and the State of California. Croll's is important in the early development of boxing during the Golden Age of Boxing in California, a period of great California champions such as Jim Corbett and James Jeffries. From the 1890s to about 1910, Croll housed many of the best boxers in America in his hotel.
Location: 1400 Webster St, Alameda
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: OAKLAND WEST
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-82000960

NO. 962  SITE OF BLOSSOM ROCK NAVIGATION TREES - Until at least 1851, redwood trees on this site were used as landmarks to avoid striking the treacherous submerged Blossom Rock, in San Francisco Bay, west of Yerba Buena island. Although by 1855 the original stems had been logged, today's trees are sprouts from their stumps.
Location: Madrone Picnic Area, Thomas J. Roberts Recreation Area, Redwood Regional Park, 11500 Skyline Blvd, Oakland

NO. 970  RAINBOW TROUT SPECIES IDENTIFIED - The naming of the Rainbow Trout species was based on fish taken from the San Leandro Creek drainage. In 1855, Dr. W. P. Gibbons, founder of the California Academy of Sciences, was given three specimens obtained from the creek. He described and assigned them the scientific name Salmo iridia. Rainbow Trout are now worldwide in distribution and are a highly prized game fish.
Location: 50 yards past Redwood Gate entrance kiosk, Redwood Regional Park, Oakland

Subscribe to our newsletter!

More Info