Contrary to belief that a mission near the City of San Jose is called Mission San Jose, the reality is that the mission is located in the city of Fremont in its Mission District. The 14th of 21 missions was founded on June 11, 1797 by Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen. Like so much of the California mission system built in earthquake zones, the original mission church and living quarters for the padres was destroyed by an earthquake in 1868.
Much work and expense has gone into efforts to restore what could have been forever lost to time. However, the passion for the mission system's survival to offer lessons in the history of California is repeated in Fremont with concerned and loving individuals, families and corporations pitching in to put the mission back together again so it can represent what once existed.
Several phases of restoration have created a true monument to celebrate, visit and appreciate. The mission is a meeting place for special events such as the annual Olive Festival and Christmas concerts. It also is open daily for tours.
LANDMARK NO. 334 MISSION SAN JOSE - On June 9, 1797, troops under Sergeant Pedro Amador, accompanied by Father Fermin Lasuén, set out from Santa Clara for the spot that the natives called Oroysom in the valley of San Jose. The following day a temporary chapel was erected, and on June 11, the father presidente 'raised and blessed the cross. In a shelter of boughs he celebrated holy mass.' On the 28th Fathers Isidoro Barcenilla and Agustin Merino arrived to take charge of the new mission. The mission, except part of the padre's quarters, was completely destroyed in the earthquake of 1868. Location: Mission Blvd at Washington Blvd, Fremont USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: NILES Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-71000131.