Historical Glass Museum, 1157 N. Orange St., Redlands, 92374,
(909) 798-0868 Open Saturday and Sunday.
Admission is free (always call first) glassmuseums.com
Located just 4 blocks from the 1-10 Freeway, you'll find not so much concrete
and pavement, but a whole lot of glass! The Historical Glass Museum, founded in
1985 is located in a restored 1903 Victorian home.
Constructed by Jerome E. Seymour, a Redlands builder and
architect he built the home for his family for approx. $1,000. He died in Redlands in 1917 during the
influenza epidemic. His daughter, Emma Cryer, lived there until her death in
1977. The home was built with wood from the
historic J.D.B. Stillman Winery, which was located where the University of
Redlands is today. Dark woodwork, high ceilings and tall, double-hung windows
are special features of the house which now serves as the Historical Glass
The museum contains eight rooms filled with around 6,000 examples of
glass from American manufactures of fine glassware and art glass. American glass.
American glassware dating from the early 1800's includes Depression-era glassware, milk glass, Victorian china, and items from the estate of Liberace. The Museum maintains a research library for use by its members.
In 2010 it received a large collection(79 pieces) of Mary Gregory Glass, which
is recognized by its painted and enameled decoration consisting of children in silhouette, typically Victorian. These children are often flying kites, jumping rope, rolling hoops, blowing bubbles or simply playing; usually surrounded by grass, foliage or fern. They are dressed in typical Victorian
Sunday Best clothes, knickerbockers, sailor suits or crinolines. Figures are usually found on a variety of colored glass. The values are affected by the color of the glass, which list from the least valuable upwards, clear, clear with amethyst, dark green, light green, amber, light blue, turquoise, cobalt blue, ruby and finally cranberry.
The first glass known as Mary Gregory was made about 1870. Similar glass is made even today.
Named for Mary Gregory who lived from 1856-1908, she and her sister worked for the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company.
She never painted Mary Gregory glass but instead specialized in Gone with the
Other items in the museum include:
Prairie Post art glass by Vernon Brejcha
Blue Fenton stemware belonging to actor/director Harold Lloyd
Barnum & Bailey's Jumbo circular spoon rack with a frosted elephant on top, manufactured
in 1884 by the Canton Glass Co.