An Insider's View of Some Favorite
Places to Eat & Drink on Balboa
Babs has spent her life living, eating and drinking in the Balboa Island/Newport Peninsula area. The computer programmer said, "Why go anywhere else when we've got it all here? We locals call it the 'International Zone,' since so many people from around the World make it their destination for eating, drinking, entertainment, the beach and good times. You hear every language, see every culture and they get to taste the best food and drink around." Although there are a lot of fantastic local eateries and pubs, we asked for her favorites.
Here's Babs Best:
(The first 7 are on Balboa Island, the last 3 Newport Peninsula)
1. AMELIAS, 311 Marine Ave., Balboa Island
"Bouillabaisse (clams, fish lobster, mussels, shrimp, scallops on garlic toast)"
2. PICANTE MARTIN, 320 Marine Ave.
"Delicious Chicken Soup, fresh chicken tacos & the Sweetest Order Takers Anywhere!"
3. WILMA'S PATIO, 203 Marine Ave.
"Balboa Belly Bombers (hallowed out french bread stuffed with scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, tomato, zucchini and fresh basil)"
4. CIAO, 223 Marine Ave.
"Penne Pepperonta (grilled chicken, sweet pepper, onions, garlic in zesty tomato sauce)"
5. VILLAGE INN, 127 Marine Ave.
"Prime Rib, Mixed Grill (2 different fish) and a Fantastic Bar; often Live Entertainment"
6. SHANGHAI PINE GARDENS CHINESE, 300 Marine Ave.
"Garlic Chicken & Friendly Servers"
7. PARK AVENUE CAFE, 501 Park Ave. (get off the Ferry and walk straight ahead until you see it on the right)
"Eggs benedict and home cooking. Locals' favorite."
8. GREAT MEX, 703 E. Balboa Blvd., Newport Peninsula
"Grilled Shrimp Tacos"
9. RUBY'S, #1 Balboa Pier
"Yummy Burgers, Thick Milkshakes & Malts, and Spectacular Ocean View"
10. EL RANCHITO, 2800 Newport Blvd.
"Sizzling Fajitas & Cadillac Margaritas"