Old Point Loma Lighthouse at Cabrillo
National Monument, 1800 Cabrillo
Memorial Drive, Route 209, San Diego,
CA. Cal: (619) 557-5450
There are two lighthouses at the
Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma
in the City of San Diego. One is the old
lighthouse, which was established in
1855. Not currently in operation,
the foundation of this lighthouse was
build with natural and emplace materials
that included brick. The lighthouse was
deactivated in 1891 when another
lighthouse a short distance away was
launched and eventually automated in 1986.
The conical shaped lighthouse structure
stand 46 feet high and the focal plane
if 462 feet. There is no optic in the
building today, but at one time included
a Third Order Fresnel lens, installed in
1855. The lighthouse is integral.
There is no fog signal building to this
lighthouse, but it does contain Keepers Quarters
constructed in a 1.5 story structure
built in 1855.
Its architectural style is Cape Cod
and the construction materials included
sandstone on cobble. Other
structures in a cistern. The light
station is managed by the National Parks
Services, which keeps it open to the
public daily from 9-5; 9-6 from July 4 to Labor Day.
There is a light on at night for
aesthetic reasons, but light source is
offset by four inches to reduce its
It's listed on the National Register as
Old Point Loma Lighthouse.