The New Shopping and Dining Destination Sparkles with a Magnificent, Modern Performance Tree, Live Entertainment, Santa and More
SANTA MONICA, Calif.-Santa Monica Place, a new shopping venue that opened near the beaches of Santa Monica in the summer 2010, introduces a seasonal experience unlike anything else in Los Angeles, including a one-of-a-kind, modern performance tree. The lights on this contemporary, 50 foot-tall, sculptural holiday tree don't just dance, they actually groove to a custom-created soundtrack from KCRW DJs. Enveloping the entire main level Plaza in a wash of color, light and hip, seasonal music, the new tree - more an art installation than a traditional holiday tree - transforms Santa Monica Place into a must-see holiday destination.
The season kicks off with an exciting, musical tree-lighting celebration, called Santa Monica Shines, Saturday, Nov. 20, 2010, from 6-7 pm. This fun, free event for the public stars KCRW Music Director Jason Bentley and the acclaimed new vocal group, The Living Sisters, featuring three of LA's best singer-songwriters (Inara George of The Bird and The Bee, Becky Stark of Lavender Diamond and singer Eleni Mandell). The event also showcases local talent from Santa Monica High School, Brentwood Academy of Dance and more, plus a special appearance by Santa. Santa Monica Shines is presented by Yogi Bear, the movie.
GLOW meets meets Louis Vuitton and it's very Santa Monica. Nightly tree performances throughout the season from Nov. 20-Dec. 31, 2010 take place every 30 minutes after dark. Four different soundtracks keep the experience fresh and engaging throughout the holiday season.
The day after Thanksgiving, Black Friday, marks the beginning of the holiday shopping season and the introduction of 'Get Gifted' at Santa Monica Place. This fun holiday program includes:
* Random giveaways of free gift cards (100 or more every Friday throughout the season)
* Santa Monica Place-specific weekly savings guides
* Santa Monica Place Gift Guru - a professional, L.A.-based stylist - who will be ready with great advice for shoppers on fashion, gift-giving and more every Friday from noon-2 pm in the Get Gifted Lounge next to Concierge on the main level.
* Inspire Your Style, invites Santa Monica Place shoppers to enter to win a $10,000 shopping spree, along with fun, fashion- and gift-giving ideas.
Santa Monica Place is partnering with the Santa Monica Synagogue for a Menorah lighting event on Saturday, Dec. 4, at 6 pm, near the olive tree on the Dining Deck. The public is invited.
Santa at Santa Monica Place
Santa, of course, will be part of the holiday festivities at Santa Monica Place, including:
* Breakfast with Santa on Saturday, Dec. 4, at 9:30 am, takes place in Food Court - complete with entertainment, photos and a visit with Santa. Space is limited for this free event; please RSVP at santamonicaplace.com/events.
* Cocoa and Cookies with Santa on Saturday, Dec. 18, at 5:30 pm, happens at the fireplace on the Dining Deck. No RSVPs needed.
* Our strolling Santa and a photographer will be available to visit with shoppers beginning the day after Thanksgiving and every weekend through Dec. 12, and then every day Dec. 17-24. Please see Concierge for exact times and locations.
Holiday entertainment highlights
In addition to regularly scheduled music and light performances by the extraordinary Santa Monica Place holiday tree, the property will feature an exciting and full calendar of live music and dance performances throughout the holiday season. Highlights from the performance calendar include:
Friday, Nov. 26: 8 am-10 am/Motown Carolers (hip caroling quartet)
Noon-2pm/The Fleet Street Band (a Dickens costumed brass quartet)
Saturday, Nov. 27: 3 pm-5 pm/ Motown Carolers (hip caroling quartet)
Sunday, Nov. 28: 3 pm-5 pm/Sleigh Me (a rock string quartet)
Saturday, Dec. 4: 3 pm-5 pm/Motown Carolers (hip caroling quartet)
Sunday, Dec. 5: 3 pm-5 pm/Holiday Express Band (playing holiday favorites)
Saturday, Dec. 11: 3 pm-5 pm/Tuxedo Junction (this group in white tuxes and top hats plays holiday favorites, old and new)
Sunday, Dec. 12: 3 pm-5 pm/ The Fleet Street Band (a Dickens costumed brass quartet)
Saturday, Dec. 18: 3 pm-5 pm/Buckingham Toy Soldier Band (brass quartet of toy soldiers from 'The Nutcracker')
Sunday, Dec. 19: 3 pm-5 pm/Sleigh Me (a rock string quartet)