International Printing Museum
315 W. Torrance Blvd, Carson, CA 90745
$10/Admission and $5 age 12 & under, printmuseum.org
The 2018 LA Printers Fair is a two-day celebration of letterpress and the book arts in Carson, CA.
ARTIST SPOTLIGHT is poet, printer & fine artist Chris Fritton. Known as "The Itinerant Printer", Chris Fritton sojourned on a two-year, coast-to-coast adventure to redefine the idea of itinerant or "tramp" printers in modern times. With only paper and ink, he hit the road, traveling 50,000 miles by car, plane, and train across the rich North American landscape, visiting 120 letterpress shops. Working exclusively from the proprietors' collections of wood type, metal type, border, ornaments and more, Chris produced a total of 15,000 prints during his journey.
LA Printers Fair invites the public to peruse over 80 vendors of Paper, Ink & Graphic Arts (Suppliers & Artists), Rare Books, Printing Presses and Equipment on sale with lots of ….type, type, type!
• LETTERPRESS SWAP MEET – Antique letterpress equipment and everything
you need for your own print shop.
• GALLERY TOURS – Experience 500 years of printing history along with Letterpress demonstrations.
• TYPE CASTING and PRINTING DEMONSTRATIONS – The Museum collection of antique presses include traditional and modern.
• THE 40's PRINTING SHOP – Travel back in time to experience a working print shop. Have your name cast in metal.
• SHOP and BUY – Screen print your own shirt, purchase gorgeous handmade and commercial paper and more!
• SHOW & TELL WALL – Post your prints, business cards and more on the fence for everyone to see and comment on.
Featured Artist Chris Fritton: From a studio cabin nestled amongst the live oaks covered with Spanish moss to a printing lodge situated in the wide expanse of western Texas;
Fritton's unique tour captured the culture and spirit of modern artistic
letterpress printers who have been working hard to keep letterpress alive
through these rapidly changing times. "The Itinerant Printer" mixes and
mingles with guests who can meet the artist, hear his colorful stories of the printing artists he met, and even purchase one of his prints or cards. Chris
also signs copies of his new book, "The Itinerant Printer".
Tours of the International Printing Museum's exquisite collection of operating" printing and typesetting machines as well as demonstrations in Papermaking, Silkscreening and Graphic arts make this hands-on day ideal for all ages. Ample free parking!
Events are not guaranteed. It is your responsibility to confirm before going.