Anacapa Island Lighthouse and Light
Station, located near the entrance to
the Santa Barbara Channel on an island
managed by the National Parks Services
(with access to optics granted to U.S.
Coast,) was established in 1912.
The existing tower was constructed in
1932 and the facility was automated in
1968. The light is operational.
Foundation materials included reinforced
concrete and the construction materials include brick
and concrete for the cylindrical shaped
The lighthouse is
and the tower height in feet measures 40,
with a focal plane of
277 feet The original optic is a Third Order Fresnel
lens installed in 1932. It was replaced
with the present optic, aDCB-24
installed in 1991. The Third Order
Fresnel is on display in the visitor
The fog signal was
constructed in 1932 and the construction materials included concrete.
Its architectural style is Spanish
The type of fog signal is a horn, but
originally was a diaphone.
There are Keepers Quarters at this
constructed in 1932 and built as one
story accommodations, the Spanish
Revival architectural style.
Materials include mostly wood.
Other structures at this light station
include an oil house, radio
building, tank house, 2 storage
buildings, a dock, a crane house, and
Anacapa Island Light Station is an
active aid to naviation in the national
parks. Grounds are open to the public
during escorted tours. Getting to
this island requires taking a boat tour
provided by companies such as Island
Packers (islandpackers.com) that travel
daily to the island from Ventura and
other ports. Call: (805) 658-5700
It's listed on the National Register as